Who can help me if I have a query or complaint?

If you are in any doubt about your pension benefit entitlements or have a problem or question about your pension scheme membership or benefits, please contact us.

We will seek to clarify or put right any misunderstandings or inaccuracies as quickly and efficiently as possible.
If your query is about your contribution rate, please contact your employer’s HR or payroll section. They will be able to explain how they have decided which rate you should pay.

If you are still dissatisfied with any decision made in relation to the scheme, you have the right to have your complaint reviewed under the scheme’s Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure. There are also other regulatory bodies that may be able to assist you.

Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure (IDRP)

In the first instance you should write to the adjudicator appointed by the body who made the decision you wish to appeal. You must do this within six months of the date of the notification of the decision, act or omission about which you are complaining (or such longer period as the adjudicator considers reasonable). 

This is a formal review of the initial decision, act or omission and is an opportunity for the matter to be reconsidered. The adjudicator will consider your complaint and notify you of their decision.

If you are dissatisfied with that person’s decision or their failure to make a decision, you may apply to us to have it reconsidered.

Our guide explains the Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure and includes relevant time limits and forms required to process your complaint.


Regulatory bodies that may be able to assist you


Moneyhelper is provided by the Money and Pensions Service. MoneyHelper gives independent and impartial information about pensions, free of charge, to members of the public. Moneyhelper is available to assist members and beneficiaries of the Scheme with any pension query they have or any general requests for information or guidance concerning their pension benefits.

MoneyHelper can be contacted:
In writing: 120 Holborn, London, EC1N 2TD
By telephone: 0800 011 3797
Website: moneyhelper.org.uk

The Pensions Ombudsman (TPO)

TPO deals only with pension complaints. It can help if you have a complaint or dispute about the administration and / or management of personal and occupational pension schemes. Some examples of the types of complaints it considers are (this list is not exhaustive):

  • automatic enrolment
  • benefits: including incorrect calculation, failure to pay or late payment
  • death benefits
  • failure to provide information or act on instructions
  • ill health
  • interpretation of scheme rules
  • misquote or misinformation
  • transfers

You have the right to refer your complaint to TPO free of charge. There is no financial limit on the amount of money that TPO can make a party award you. Its determinations are legally binding on all parties and are enforceable in court. 

Contact with TPO about a complaint needs to be made within three years of when the event(s) you are complaining about happened – or, if later, within three years of when you first knew about it (or ought to have known about it). There is a discretion for those time limits to be extended.

The TPO provide factsheets on their website to support the referral of complaints to them.  

The Pensions Ombudsman Factsheet - The Early Resolution Service

The Pensions Ombudsman Factsheet - How we investigate complaints

The Pensions Ombudsman Factsheet - Complaining to the party/parties at fault

The Pensions Ombudsman Factsheet - Complaining to TPO on behalf of a deceased’s estate

The Pensions Ombudsman Factsheet - Complaining about receiving incorrect information

You can contact TPO:
In writing: 10 South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, E14 4PU    
Telephone: 0800 917 4487
Website: pensions-ombudsman.org.uk (where you can submit an online complaint form).

The Pensions Regulator (TPR)

This is the regulator of work-based pension schemes. TPR has powers to protect members of work-based pension schemes and a wide range of powers to help put matters right, where needed. In extreme cases, the regulator can fine trustees or employers, and remove trustees from a scheme. If you have a concern about your workplace pension you can contact them:

In writing: Napier House, Trafalgar Place, Brighton, BN1 4DW
By telephone: 0345 600 7060
Website: thepensionsregulator.gov.uk 

How can I trace my pension rights?

The Pension Tracing Service holds details of pension schemes, including the LGPS, together with relevant contact addresses. It provides a tracing service for ex-members of schemes and their dependants with pension entitlements who have lost touch with previous schemes. All occupational and personal pension schemes have to register if the pension scheme has current members contributing to the scheme or people expecting benefits from the scheme. If you need to use this tracing service:

Telephone: 0800 731 0193 
Website: gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details