The Avon Pension Fund Pension Board has been set up to assist in the good governance of the scheme through the monitoring of Fund performance and adherence to statutory duties.
The Local Pension Board is not a decision-making body - its role is to assist in the compliance with scheme rules.
The Local Pension Board consists of three employer and three member representatives and independent chairpersion.
Update: May 2019
Independent Chairperson required
Bath and North East Somerset Council is looking to appoint an Independent Chairperson for the Avon Pension Fund Local Pension Board.
We are looking for candidate’s who can now move the Board forward in the next four years by working in partnership with the Scheme Administrator and the Pensions Committee. The range of competencies and skills for the Chair would ideally include:
- Board, member or non-executive director experience;
- Ability to collaborate and work with Senior Management in a constructive manner to achieve positive outcomes;
- Significant experience of audit, risk or financial management and ideally some direct knowledge of pension funds and their management;
- Experience of implementing or reviewing sound corporate governance practices ideally at a Board or Committee level;
- Ability to understand complex issues and support fund management in improving performance and/or the effectiveness of its arrangements;
- Strategic understanding of local government and the arena in which local government scheme’s operate including ongoing national pension issues
The role requires a positive and committed attitude with independence of judgement, excellent communication skills at all levels, ability to facilitate constructive debate and to pro-actively chair the Board’s meetings in an open and inclusive style.
The successful candidate will represent the Board with a range of stakeholders including employers, members, the LGPS Scheme Advisory Board, the Pensions’ Regulator and the administering authority.
The appointment will be for four years from July 2019, with a requirement to set aside approximately 12 days per year, to include formal board meetings, training events and attendance at networking meetings or conferences.
Remuneration of approximately £6,988 is payable along with relevant expenses.
Applications are by CV, including a covering statement detailing how you meet the expected requirements of the role.
Please send applications by email to email@example.com by the closing date of 12noon Monday 3 June 2019. Interviews are planned for the 19 or 20 June.
A recruitment pack with the role and person specification and background documents and information can be found below:
The Board has published its Annual Report for 2017/18. This can be downloaded below:
Annual Employers' Conference 2018
- Howard Pearce
- Tom Renhard
- David Yorath
- Mark King
- Gaynor Fisher – South Gloucestershire Council
- Steve Harman – Bath and North East Somerset Council
- Tony Whitlock - Bristol City Council